Thursday, October 22, 2009

Teaching Preschool: Week 6

This week it was my turn to teach preschool again and the shape theme on Monday was diamonds, moons, and stars. So I taught about the creation of the sun, moon and stars, and I taught that we need to keep our bodies in good "shape" and we made some fun crafts like a skeleton to remind them to keep our bones healthy and strong...


On Wednesday, the theme was triangles so I made a file folder matching game with the shapes we're learning. To help them identify triangles, I made an "I Spy Triangles" book for each of them and had them glue candy corn on each triangle they could find. We also made pumpkins with triangle eyes and shakers to make music.

So after teaching preschool four times now, here are some things I've learned...
  • The kids know the pledge of allegiance so well already, I'm so proud of them!
  • The girls could spend 20-30 minutes more on each of their crafts to perfect them and enjoy it... when on the other hand, the boys do the crafts to please me and then are done before I can give directions.
  • All five kids play in the toy room the last 10 minutes of preschool which usually includes playing house... which entails the boys being the "Husband" who goes to work and the girls are the "Mommy's." They've taught me that obviously our husbands are working too much according to them, and that the "Mommy's" yell a lot since as soon as they play house, Hallie will start yelling at them and telling them what to do. When I corrected Hallie and told her that Mommy's don't yell a lot, she insisted they do!? Why is it that kids always remember that one bad word you said, or that one red light you went through or that one time you've screamed at them instead of the COUNTLESS hours you've soothed them, loved them, held their puke for them or delivered them!?!?!?
  • You never know if they're learning until one of them screams, "I have a booger," and another one responds, "That means your body is healthy!" I think I'm learning more from them than they are from me!

No comments: