This year, an elf was "left behind" to watch our kids throughout the month of December and report back to Santa of whether the kids have been good or bad. We told Hallie that the elf comes to life and moves every night while she's sleeping to a different spot in the house so he can watch her there. I should have known that Hallie would be skeptical about this elf... just look at her looking at him.
Hallie: Mommy, how does Santa get down the chimney? It's dangerous to go down chimneys! Why doesn't he just go through the door? Because we don't let strangers in our house?
Me: Santa comes down the chimney by using Christmas magic and it's closer to the Christmas tree than the door. And Santa's not a stranger.
Hallie: How does Santa get on our roof?
Me: By his reindeer, they fly!
Hallie: Reindeer don't fly, Mom! They don't at the zoo, so they don't fly!
Me: uh......... yes they do! It's Christmas magic! Let's go find the elf, and see where he's hiding today!
Hallie: Okay! You moved him last night Mom?
Me: NO! He moves by himself when you're sleeping.
Hallie: No he doesn't, he's just a doll. Doll's aren't real.
Me: Yes they are... like Toy Story! They're real in Toy Story!
Hallie: That's just a cartoon, silly.
Okay, I was stumped. Of course, I'm lying through my teeth to keep the magic of Christmas alive, but yet, she's a smart little fart. So I just ignore her questions and hope that next year she will just start believing!?


4 comments:
Good luck with that one! I'd say you have your hands full!!
Hallie is hilarious! My family is Dutch so we celebrate St. Nicholas day on Dec. 5th as well. The boys put out their shoes and get candy in the morning. Don't you love those traditions. I am so doing the elf next year. So clever!
That Hallie is one super smart girl-its amazing that she thinks it through that much instead of just giving into the magic of Christmas. I hope you guys are having fun getting ready and I know you will LOVE being home for Christmas and not traveling anywhere!
Hallie sounds like a very practical girl! Hopefully you'll still be able to convince her of the magic. My 9-year old pretty much thinks we're Santa, but because we're so convincing...she's secretly testing us in all different ways. She has no idea who she's messing with! :-)
Post a Comment